Tuesday, September 30, 2008

How I Became an Educational Anarchist

What the kids of an anarchist look like...

I first learned I was an anarchist a few months back, when the California Teacher's Association described homeschooling parents as such and also claims parents are "amateurs" when it comes to matters of education. As "anarchist" means, basically, freedom from government, I guess I have to agree with the assessment.

In my youth, I tried to be a real anarchist, dying my blond hair all sorts of colors not occuring in nature and drawing the anarchy sign on my Doc Martens with white-out. I listened to the Dead Kennedys and smoked clove cigarettes and had an unsuitable boyfriend, but in the end I realized I am just a small-town gal from Nowhere, Indiana and gave up my quest to be edgy.

Who knew that on the verge of middle age, my dream would come true at last! Yes, I drive a minivan, my hair is its natural color and 2 of my children play soccer (so I am, quite literally, a soccer mom). Yes, I live in a quiet New England hamlet - and yet beneath it all beats the heart of a crazed anarchist, going against the wishes of the federal government and daring to think I have something to teach my young children! Avast! Who knew you needed a "teacher certification" to impart cutting, gluing, reading and writing skills? To teach a child math by showing them patterns in nature? Am I so scary to society simply by espousing the philosophy "rocks and sticks until they're six" and battling against mandated schooling before that?

Call the cops, I am a real threat. Even though I do have a (lapsed) teacher certificate. Even though I spent 7 years teaching in government schools (which was a driving force in my decision to keep my own kids out of them). Even though my kids are all at least a year or two ahead of where random government officials have arbitrarily decided they should be. Or is this what scares people the most?

So, are you with me, fellow anarchists? Let's rise up and let them know we mean business.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Courtney! Love your blog so far.

No - you're not a bad mommy. You should see what my kids wear out of the house!

One of Lucy's favorite things to do is catch tadpoles. Think of it as we are training the future tree huggers or scientists of tomorrow. Beth

Amy said...

What are clove cigarettes, and did we smoke any together? Love the blog...keep up the revolt!