Monday, December 8, 2008

Vigilante Kids

I started out today thinking I would write about Christmas. Yes, the holiday-which-must-not-be-named in our uber-sensitive culture of political correctness. But then I read a story on the front page of our local paper outlining a proposed plan to turn Georgetown’s Penn Brook Elementary School students into vigilantes, taking on possible gunmen armed only with backpacks and a garbage can. Who do school officials think these kids are, little MacGyvers?

Apparently, time will soon be taken out of the school day to teach children how to react in case an armed maniac should run into their classroom. Never mind wondering if the money for this “training” would be better spent beefing up security so the gunman couldn’t get in in the first place…but I digress.

The plan is to teach fourth- and fifth-grade students to fend of the perp with backpacks, chairs and books because these are excellent shields against bullets, right? Or will it give the kids a false sense of security. My other thought was, what happens if the gunman knows that only the fourth and fifth graders have been trained in using everyday objects as security measures, and meanders into the third-grade classroom down the hall?

I am all for awareness of danger and knowing how to protect oneself. I have spent a good deal of time teaching my kids about what to do if they are ever approached by strangers or grabbed by one.

The main reason this article got to me so much is because it really underscores the very real threat of children having to be placed in the position of taking on a gunman. So on top of everything else expected of the kids, like sitting still for long periods, waiting for classmates to finish work, being confused by or not challenged by the work and therefore frustrated, and the stress of MCAS, they also have to always have a niggling fear in their minds that someone is going to come into school and shoot them.

I have filed all this information in the part of my brain labeled “more reasons I make financial sacrifices to homeschool”. Yes, I realize that I cannot insulate my children from danger. That they could be harmed as they go about their lives and during classes where I am not in attendance. But I can sure as heck keep them out of a place where it is no longer a really big deal for a shooting to occur.

As for my own kids, I bought the boys weapons for Christmas. Yes, I did. Marshmallow launcher guns and a real bow-and-arrow set, complete with primary-colored target. I passed on the hatchet/knives kit for this year, but expect they request it within the decade. They will be trained in real ways to keep themselves safe when they are old enough and out on their own.

For now, it is my job to be their protector and that is what I will do.

1 comment:

Beth said...

My husband suggests adding "The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead" to the school curriculum.