Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Staple Head

It's not a vacation for us without a trip to the ER. Two summers ago, it was Anna's broken arm in North Carolina. This time, it was poor Ryan who is now sporting a stylish, shiny staple on the top of his head.

While I was dutifully folding laundry and washing dishes (is there ever REALLY a vacation for a mom?), I heard a thud, beat of silence, then the wail of a boy with a head wound. Once I got over the sight of the dear child crumpled on the floor wearing his goggles, I noticed blood gushing forth from the top of his head not unlike Old Faithful.

I nearly fainted as I carried him to the kitchen and used Bounty to staunch the flow. It really is absorbent! It became clear that it was going to bleed for awhile, so I found out the location of the nearest hospital and rushed him over. While we waited for 3 hours, I got the story out of my little genius.

Turns out he was wearing the goggles because he was pretending to scuba dive, so he was looking down of course to see the imaginary coral reef. He unfortunately walked right into the sharp corner of some decorative crown molding on the TV armoire.

Ryan was a champ during the long wait and the stapling, which closed the laceration with a satisfying kerchunk sound. I still can't bring myself to look at it.

All that's left to do is wonder what strange accident awaits us next!

No comments: