Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Yes, of course I LOATHE Valentine's Day

It is the one day of the year I dread, the most evil and contrived day of them all. What kind of person can handle the pressure? It is always a disappointment, especially when you can't stand your significant other, but still must, for show, purchase a card. Do you lie and purchase the cheesy, romantic one with the couple in silhouette on the beach? The "dirty" card? The joke card, the receipt of which is clearly the death knell of any relationship?

Years ago, I did like VD (which is my pet name for it, since I am sure many unwanted "transmissions" will happen that night). When I was dating my favorite boyfriend Steve in college, we would celebrate VD by drinking a bottle of Boone's Farm and changing the letters on the entrance sign of the student union to say things like "Welcome Fascists" instead of something more dignified. He really got me in a way no one else ever had or has yet to date! One year, he broke into the art building and made me a picnic on the roof; another he surprised me with breakfast cooked by hisveryownself and brought to my dorm room in the freezing cold. No horrid flowers, overpriced dinners or dicey cards - just fun surprises only the two of us understood.

I do, of course, have VD fantasies (or just fantasies in general). My most recent one involves an unknown crush showing up after my Zumba class to whisk me off for libations and great conversation, and not on VD itself. I know it won't happen, but hey, a girl never stops dreaming.

I keep hoping that VD will become passe. I think the worst thing that can happen is getting engaged or married on VD - how cliche and boring! Anyway, feel free to comment and prove me wrong. Perhaps I really am just a jaded, silly girl....

No comments: