Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Live From Sanibel

No, I am never coming back. I don't know if I can physically force myself onto the plane! I haven't figured out where we would stay or pay for things, but those are just details to be dealt with.... The sun is shining, and I've spent hours doing nothing but wandering the beach listening to my children chatter and play. We are all content, which is a rarity at home!

I used to come here in the winters with my grandparents, to this very condo. They are gone now, and I have gotten a little choked up more than once remembering their very selves walking the same beach (or riding, in the case of my paraplegic grandmother), sifting through shells and feeling the same warm sun on their faces. They were two of the best people who ever lived, kind and generous and loving. I was lucky to know them, and miss them every day.

There has been way too much drama in my life lately, from having to ask someone to leave my co-op for bad behaviour (both mom and child), antics of my husband and looking for a real job. Sanibel is a great place to forget it all. Sun on one's cheek and a breeze in one's hair do seem to cure everything and put the bad stuff to rest.

The best parts of the trip so far?
1. Jake learned he could swim without a floatie! He is such a superstar swimmer now.
2. Finding a cool crab with a shell that looks like giraffe fur.
3. Teaching the kids to play Monopoly on the rainy day.
4. Not wearing shoes.
5. Reading 2 books so far!
6. Watching Anna dance free on the beach.
7. Watching Ryan swing from tree branches with a look of glee on his little face.

More updates coming - and pics when I return.

No comments: