Saturday, March 14, 2009

Karaoke

First, I'd like to wish everyone Happy Pi Day...now, to the point.

My friends back in my homeland of Indiana are having an ABBA karaoke party tonight, and I can't go. I found out about the soiree on Facebook, where I get to read about all the people having more fun than I am. If not for the low balance in my checkbook, I would have boarded a plane immediately to hang with Kevin et al for nice round of Dancing Queen.

My plan tonight (Saturday, by the way) includes folding laundry, convincing children to go to bed and reading another chapter or two of Brideshead Revisited. I will also lament the fact that The Husband's business trip has been put out two weeks, thwarting my plans for a peaceful weekend. If I am lucky, I might happen across a marathon of Snapped on the Oxygen network. I want somewhere kooky to go, especially since I am sporting a new haircut - 8 inches gone and funky layers everywhere!

I admit without shame that I love karaoke. My first flirtation with it was singing the great Prince song Kiss with my BFF Amy at the Bombay Bicycle Club in Indy. We did a fine falsetto, and to my horror after we were done I saw that my future stepfather was at the bar....

Another song I can do very well is Tainted Love by Soft Cell. I perfected that one the summer of my 20th year after being dared to do it by Bill the Lawyer (one of only two lawyers I can abide, and whom I always referred to as Bill the Lawyer, which caused him no end of eye-rolling) who was 7 years my senior, which was our ultimate downfall. He made me sing it every time we went out anywhere, so accurate was my rendition. I was very popular in the boring-lawyer-party circuit of the early 1990s.

There really is nothing more goofy and life-affirming than singing pop songs to bad, tinny back-up music. The fading away of karaoke into obscurity is one of the saddest outcomes of the new millenium - I really think it should come back into vogue.

In the meantime, the mountains of laundry await me in my current and mundane life. I keep checking my phone for messages calling me away to somewhere else, but alas, none are there. I will never end my quest to find a karaoke bar somewhere and convince some innocent bystander to come along with me (could be tricky, but I did birth twins, so anything is possible). Any takers? Just let me know....

No comments: