Sunday, October 12, 2008

Children of the Corn Maze


Today, we went on a trek through the fabutastic Kimball Farm corn maze. It takes you through about 5 acres of cornfield, with shapes of five animals. Questions lead you in the right - or the wrong - direction. As I corralled the 4 children in my care (my 3 plus a spare to keep Anna from whining), I felt a certain affinity for the corn itself. In fact, it almost seemed like I had returned to my homeland of Indiana, where I grew up on a farm replete with cornstalks.

In the hour and a half we were lost in the maze, I could see where one could go crazy like Malachi and his pals in the Stephen King thriller. I truly couldn't tell one way from another, and thought about an insightful article sent to met recently from a new friend (thanks, Beth) about a woman who would hide from her kids in a cornfield. How lovely it would be if such a safe place as a cornfield existed for us all!

The smell of the corn and dirt, and the uninhibited joy and laughter only children can exhibit made me smile for the first time in awhile. We really had a lovely time - wish I could have shared it with others! The picture above is my own scary Children of the Corn Maze plus the resplendent and lovely Hanna, whose parents graciously loaned her to me for the afternoon to share in our discoveries. Can you tell which children are the anarchists and which one has been taught dignity and self-preservation by bullies in the public schools? I am trying to forget it will soon be winter lockdown, and a great weekend like we had keeps me in denial.

No comments: