Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sometimes it's Easy to be Proud

I took my kids to their favorite play place yesterday (Rumble Tumble in Portsmouth, NH, if anyone's in the area). For awhile we had the place to ourselves, and then some older children trickled in. One of the girls had Down's Syndrome, and I watched curiously to see what my own kids would say or do. My daughter ran right up to her and invited her to play the game, which somehow involved cats (due to Anna's obsession with the Warriors books). The girl declared she wanted to be a dog, and that was OK with Anna as long as she was a nice one.

My boys joined in, pretending with the girls to be animals in various states of distress, who had to be rescued by the others. Two kids said audibly that they "didn't want to play with that girl" (meaning the one with Down's) and went over to play in another section. Anna carried on with her new friend, asking her name, etc. They had a wonderful time, taking turns being different animals and playing rescue.

The girl's mother came over to me and asked where Anna went to school. I said I homeschooled, and that mom said she wasn't surprised and that the only children who have wholly accepted her daughter in new situations are homeschooled. We had a lovely chat until it was time to go, and my mommy pride swelled.

I waited to see if Anna would mention the girl, or ask about her appearance or voice, but no questions came - from her or the boys. She just talked with excitement about her new friend Cassidy and how much she hoped we would cross paths again. I needed a moment like that to see that what I am doing is a good thing, as we all have doubts. Watching my little girl be so blind to differences in another person was one of the greatest moments of my mommyhood, and I hope it continues.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

That is a beautiful story, and you are a good mother. I know you are very proud of Anna, and you should be proud of yourself, too.

Momma Kat said...

What a lovely story!! As mom to a wonderful daughter with Down syndrome, I find it especially heartwarming. I wish more children were raised to accept those who are different than themselves.

Nikki~Down syndrome Storyteller said...

You have every right to be proud, momma! My daughter has Down syndrome, and while she is still a cute 2 year old, I know the day is coming when she'll have to face the unaccepting kids. Breaks my heart, and makes me love your kids all the more. Thanks for a great story!--Nikki
http://www.down-syndrome-facts-and-fiction.com

Courtney said...

Thanks, all of you! I must admit that after seeing my children I was a bit ashamed of myself that the first thing I noticed was the child's Down Syndrome, not the child herself. I can learn a lot from my dear-hearted little children. Bless all of you.