Saturday, November 15, 2008

Why I Love the Duggars


For those of you who don't know them, they are a family on TLC with 17 children and one on the way. Yes, they are a little creepy in that they all dress kind of alike and the girls don't cut their hair and all their names (except mom Michelle) start with the letter J AND they live in Arkansas. But I love watching them, especially the mom. They are a great-looking family, perpetually good natured and kind to one another. Michelle is calm and rational, and never raises her voice. She homeschools them all, teaches the kids to care for one another and makes a mean tater-tot casserole.


There is controversy in the blogosphere about their religion and their decision to not use birth control. However, they have no debt, their home is immaculate, they work hard, the kids are clean and good citizens.


I am the first to admit that I can barely manage my three children, who some days seem forever bent on driving me to commit extreme alcohol consumption (so far, I have resisted). When I think I can't go on, I hear Michelle's sweet voice in my head as she gently steers her children right. Everyone needs a role model, and right now my greatest wish would be to meet this incredible woman and listen to her secrets. She could teach me a lot.


This afternoon, as a cold New England breeze made riding bikes impossible and the kids clamored to go indoors, I channeled Michelle for a little while. We made delish chocolate chip and molasses cookies, Anna did a little violin concert for us and I diffused a fight involving a red pom-pom being weilded harshly from one brother to another without yelling. I also successfully restrained myself from sending a snarky reply to the woman who barely knows me, but felt OK sending me a link to an education program that helps teach children empathy and non-agressive play techniques. Hmmmmmm. Trying to tell me something about my very normal boys? Sorry, dont' want them to be girls! But I digress....


In this age of children and teens run amok and parents who delegate the raising of their children to daycares, nannies and schools, the Duggars are a refreshing change. Their innocence and genuine contentment are something to which we can all aspire. Michelle, if you ever read this, give me a call. I need you!

3 comments:

mom4god said...

Hi! I am an MFW user and got your blog from the yahoo group. I love your blog! It really lifts me up and gives me a laugh. By the way, Michelle Dugger is also my secret roll model! If you ever get to meet her, let me in on it!

Julie B
jewelsgems-mom4god.blogspot.com

Beth said...

I love her tater-tot casserole! I totally would make / eat that - but would my kids? Hmmmm...

Basler family said...

She certainly makes it look easy. Love the new background colors, btw. Very snazzy.