Friday, January 16, 2009

Out of the Doldrums

I finished a good book last night (The Secret History by Donna Tartt, for anyone interested, which I have read at least 100 times and never tire of) and went to sleep feeling satisfied and happy - hence no maudlin posts about my issues or anger toward men (who don't always leave one drifting off to sleep satisfied and happy).

Today, to paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara, is another day. I awoke this morning to three cuddly kids scratching my back and saying, "Let's let mommy sleep a little longer." What a rare gift. So I faked sleep until they became rambunctious and we had a giant pillow fight. Keeping in the spirit of fun, we had shaped pancakes for breakfast (horses for Anna, cars for Ryan and bats for Jake), read some Mem Fox and Dr. Seuss, and are now in the throes of making 6 dozen cookies for Anna's dance recital tonight.

We couldn't decide what kind of cookies to make, so we threw in white chocolate chips, semi-sweet chips and M & Ms. I must say, they are delectable. While they are baking, we're cleaning the house. Is anything more serene than an orderly home? I think not! Right now, my house is warm and smells good, and The Husband is leaving tomorrow for a few days. Life is good! My camera broke, though, and I am saving up for a new one, so no pics of the cookies.

Anyway, today has been a good day.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

great book! As is, "The Little Friend"