Thursday, April 23, 2009

Some Good Words I Need to Work into Everyday Conversation

As my mental faculties are declining, due to childbirth and a couple of years of breastfeeding (see Momnesia post for explanation of this disorder), I am making a list of excellent words that should be used with regularity. It's up to you to figure out the meanings.

muliebritous
histrionics
festooned
perverse (the peevish, cranky meaning)
anathema
ennui
bellicose
nonplussed


If you are so inclined, please add some more. It's my goal to single-handedly bring back some civility to the English language...only second to my goal of being so thin people worry about me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think people use the word "killjoy" nearly enough.

Chris said...

The defunct group dis put out a CD called "small fry 1 & 2" that has a word, apparently chosen at random, read between every musical track. One of the words is "muliebrity"; another is "auscultation."

It's a very college band album, a bit gloomy, yet I've lugged it to every place I've lived since acquiring it.