Saturday, April 4, 2009

Am I Still an Educational Anarchist?

I have admitted defeat and enrolled my daughter in Evil Public School, to start Monday. I do believe I have chosen the best school in the area and went through all the choice paperwork to get her in. I am still suspect of what goes on in public schools, especially after working in them for several years. But I met Anna's teacher and the children were so lovely to her when we visited - I can't help but think that, even if we return to homeschooling in the future, it will be a decent experience for her. The teacher she has been assigned has a master's in working with gifted children, and is very open to allowing her to be her veryownself. So we'll see.

My boys will still be home with me, having just turned 5 and not eligible for K until the fall. So I guess for now I am still homeschooling them, as much as one can with crazy boys intent on mass destruction.

I have a feeling I will still be an anarchist deep down and continue to question everything she is required to do. And Monday will be the hardest day as I drop that precious girl off in the morning. I anticipate many tears (me, not her) and a melancholy that I don't expect will dissipate any time soon.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Homeschooling is growing in Japan, but my probably faulty understanding is that it's in a grey area. Technically, it's illegal but (like certain other things) a blind eye is turned. With drop-out and school refusal rates climbing here, it's the only option in some cases.